5 Things you Can’t Miss in Austin during MBA Annual
Check out these insider tips for what to do in Austin
Pack your bag and your boots, MBA Annual is almost here. We’re excited to be joining four thousand of our closest industry friends at this year’s Mortgage Bankers Association Annual Convention in Austin, Texas on October 27-30th.
When we think of Austin, we think of long days at the lake, great tacos, longhorns, live music, and world-famous BBQ. With so much to see and do, it’s hard to pick just a few; so we asked some of our local real estate friends, Stephanie Anton, President at Luxury Portfolio International, and Jennifer Archambeault, Broker/Owner of Urban Provision Realtors, for their favorite spots.
With the help of our local experts, we put together a list of five things you must see and do next week in Austin:
1. Eat tacos for breakfast: Every Austinite knows the best way to kickstart your day or finish off a long night is with a breakfast taco or two. Austin has no shortage of great breakfast tacos. Near the convention center, local expert Archambeault recommends Pueblo Viejo, Dai Due Taqueria, Juan in a Million, and Tamale House East, while Anton raves about Arlos for delicious vegan options. Ready to head a little further out? Anton says Torchys is her go-to spot.
2. Hear live music: As the self-proclaimed Live Music Capital of the World, Austin has tons of great places to hear just about any kind of music, and many of them are steps from the convention center. Whatever your music taste, Austin is likely to have a live music venue for you. Not sure where to start? Anton recommends Cedar Street (one of my personal favorites) or Maggie Mae’s on 6th. Archambeault says any show at the Continental Club is great- the upstairs usually features an acoustic show and downstairs gets happening late.
3. Indulge in world-famous Austin BBQ: Austin has some of the best barbecue you can get anywhere in the world. The best known and most applauded is undoubtedly Franklin Barbecue, the winner of Texas Monthly’s coveted Best Barbecue Joint in Texas award, Bon Appétit’s Best Barbecue Joint in America and many others. If you don’t have a special invite and want to avoid a 3-4 hour wait in line (no joke!), skip the line and place an order to-go or check out some of these spots our locals love:
- Lambert’s: Conveniently located near the convention center and highly recommended by both our locals
- ChiLantro: Delicious Korean BBQ
- Iron Works: Great lunch spot steps from the convention center
- County Line: An uber ride away to either location on the Hill and on the Lake, but worth the trek
- Stiles Switch: Cafeteria-style barbecue with great hot links
- La Barbecue: The pitmaster came from Franklin BBQ
- Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ: Acclaimed food truck south of Austin featuring BBQ with a Mexican twist
- LeRoy and Lewis: Food truck from the owners of the historic Freedman’s BBQ (Freedman’s now closed)
- Micklethwait Craft Meats: Unassuming spot close to Franklin Barbecue with all the usual meats plus specials like Brisket Frito Pie
- Rudy's BBQ: Multiple locations but the Westlake location is the most iconic with outdoor dining under large oak trees
4. Go shopping for boots: Boots aren’t just for cowboys, mortgage bankers love them too (or so we’ve been told)! Fortunately, Austin has some of the best boots that money can buy. For a huge selection, head over to Allens Boots on South Congress. Even the most serious shoppers will be delighted with over eight thousand square feet of hats, boots, and belts. After you have shopped until you’ve dropped, refuel next door at Guero's Taco Bar.
5. Meet Capsilon Instant Underwriter: Like tacos and beer, but better! Capsilon Instant Underwriter is the mortgage industry’s first autonomous underwriting solution that helps mortgage lenders underwrite mortgage loans in minutes with greater consistency and less risk. “This is a game-changer.” “You had me at eight underwrites a day.” “It’s virtually error-free.” Find out why people are raving about the hottest new tech for mortgage lenders. Seriously, this could be better than brisket.
Come see us in Austin during MBA Annual
Use the form below to arrange a meeting at our exclusive event space, or to join one of our open sessions on October 28 and 29.